Search This Blog

Friday, May 14, 2010

Disability Benefits for Mental Health Conditions: How Your Doctor Can Help

In order to prove that you are disabled due to a mental health condition, Social Security and/or your insurance company will want information about how your condition prevents you from working. Your doctor can help by giving specific information about how your symptoms impact the following areas at work:

Concentration, persistence, and pace

  • How long can you pay attention at one time?
  • How long can you pay attention over the course of a day?
  • Do you need breaks more than once every two hours?
Absenteeism due to your psychological problems
  • How many days a month would you be expected to be absent from work?
  • Would you need a flexible schedule?
Ability to sustain competitive employment, 8 hours a day, 40 hours per week
  • Would you need extra breaks the more you work?
  • Would your symptoms worsen over the course of a day or a week if you worked?
Ability to understand, remember, and carry out both simple and detailed instructions and work-like procedures

Ability to interact appropriately with the public, supervisors, and coworkers
  • How do you react to criticism?
  • Are you cooperative?
  • How do you deal with authority figures?
  • Do you communicate clearly with others?
Ability to respond to normal work stress

Ability to perform simple, routine tasks
  • Do you need extra supervision to carry out your duties?
  • Can you finish tasks without distraction?
Your doctor should indicate your level of functioning in these areas. Do you have an unlimited, limited, or very limited ability? Are you unable to function at all in these areas?

By providing Social Security or your insurance company with this information, you will help your disability claim by giving a complete picture of your ability to work.

Copyright (c) 2010 by John V. Tucker and Tucker & Ludin, P.A. All rights reserved. For assistance with your Long Term Disability claim, ERISA Disability benefit claim, Social Security Disability claim, or Veterans Disability compensation or pension claim, call Disability Lawyer John Tucker at (866) 282-5260.

No comments:

Legal Guides From John Tucker on Selected Disability Topics